Investigation Hemp Acreage collects information on US hemp acreage, yield, production, price, and value
The USDA's National Agricultural Statistics Service has publié on February 17, 2022 the results of the 2021 hemp acreage and production survey in its National Hemp Report.
The survey collected data on hemp grown outdoors and hemp in greenhouses. The area of industrial hemp planted in the open air and for all uses represents approximately 21914 hectares. The harvested area amounts to more than 13548 hectares. U.S. outdoor hemp production value reaches $712 million. The greenhouse hemp area is 15,2 million square feet and its production value is $112 million.
"The release of this landmark report provides a much-needed reference on hemp production to assist growers, regulators, state governments, processors and other key industry entities," said Hubert Hamer, administrator of NASS. "Not only will this data guide USDA agencies in supporting domestic hemp production, but the results can also help inform grower decisions about growing, harvesting, and selling hemp, as well as the type of hemp they decide to produce. The survey results may also impact policy decisions regarding the hemp industry. »https://drgnews.com/2022/02/18/value-of-hemp-production-totaled-824-million-in-2021/
The 2021 Hemp Acreage and Production Survey collected information on the total planted and harvested acreage, yield, production, and value of hemp in the United States. In terms of value, the primary use of outdoor grown hemp is $623 million. The top use of hemp grown under protection was floral use with $64,4 million.
The survey found that 82% of hemp growers are male, and 52% of respondents said farming was their primary occupation. The report also contains additional information on the characteristics of hemp growers, including years operating a farm, age, and breed.
Broken down by use, the US outdoor hemp totals in 2021 were as follows:
- Floral hemp production was estimated at 19,7 million pounds; production used totaled 15,7 million pounds. The area harvested for floral hemp is estimated at 15 acres. The average yield of floral hemp is estimated at 980 pounds per acre. The value of floral hemp was $1 million.
- Hemp grown for grain totaled 4,37 million pounds; production used totaled 3,96 million pounds. The area harvested for grain hemp is estimated at 8 acres. The average grain hemp yield is estimated at 255 pounds per acre. The value of hemp for grain reached $530 million.
- Hemp for fiber production is estimated at 33,2 million pounds; the production used is 27,6 million pounds. The area harvested for hemp for fiber is estimated at 12 acres. The average yield of hemp for fiber production is estimated at 690 pounds per acre. The value of hemp for fiber reached $2 million.
- Hemp production for seed is estimated at 1,86 million pounds; the production used is 1,68 million pounds. The area harvested for hemp for seed is estimated at 3 acres. The average yield of hemp for seed is estimated at 515 pounds per acre. The value of hemp grown for seed reached $530 million.
Broken down by use, the US totals for hemp grown under protection in 2021 were as follows:
- Hemp production for grafts and clones totaled 20,2 million plants; the production used totaled 18,0 million plants. The value of hemp grown under protection for transplants and clones reached $23,8 million.
- Floral hemp production was estimated at 310 pounds; production used totaled 421 lbs.
- The value of floral hemp was $64,4 million.
- Hemp grown for seed totaled 4 pounds; production used totaled 059 pounds. The value of hemp grown for seed is $3 million.